I recently started cycling and with the North Texas summer heat decided that I need something more than just water to help me keep hydrated during the summer. I started by taking nuun tablets and it's very good but after taking the tablets for a while I noticed that the cost does add up and it does have many unnatural chemicals so I decided to research and come up with my own solution.
I dislike coconut flavor, however, coconut water does provide a lot of electrolytes so one formula is based on coconut water and the other ginger. Also, many sites state to use sea salt but I am replacing the sea salt with Himalayan salt.
- 1/2 cup orange juice freshly squeezed ( ~1-2 oranges )
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice squeezed ( ~2 lemons )
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice squeezed ( ~2-3 limes )
- 1.5 tbsp raw organic honey (local honey is always best)
- 2.5 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 2 cups coconut water
Put into a blender and mix until consistent and pour out into ice cube tray to freeze overnight. Once frozen move it into a ziplock bag.
- 4-5 slices of fresh ginger
- 1 stalk of lemongrass chopped (optional)
- 8 tbsp fresh lemon juice squeezed ( ~4 lemons )
- 1/2 cup of raw organic honey (local honey is always best)
- 1-1.5 tbsp Himalayan pink salt
- 2 cups filtered water
Boil the water with chopped lemongrass and ginger for about 20 minutes and let it cool. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until consistent and pour out into ice cube tray to freeze overnight. Once frozen move it into a ziplock bag.
For workouts put 2 ice cubes into the water bottle and fill with water. My bottles are 24oz and 2 ice cubes work fine for me. For post workouts, you can put 2-3 cubes into tonic water or Topo Chico for a refreshing relaxing post-workout drink.